With the current crop of dramas ending and casting news dropping left and right as productions scramble to get final preparations in place for the upcoming replacements, it’s time for another summary of recent goings-on.
- The script reading for upcoming tvN triple season sageuk drama The Three Musketeers was held last Tuesday on June 24th at CJ E&M Center in Seoul and was attended by stars Jung Yong Hwa, Lee Jin Wook, Yang Dong Gun, Jung Hae In (who will play the three musketeers-slash-bodyguards and the crown prince), female leads Seo Hyun Jin and Yoo In Young as well as Kim Sung Min, Park Young Gyu, Jeon No Min, Lee Kyun and more.
Filming began on July 1st and Yong Hwa himself tweeted fans their first glimpse of him in costume:
If this is what he looks like mid-styling, I can’t wait to get a look at the complete transformation. Preferably with Park Dal Hyang on horseback or brandishing a sword. (En garde!) Shhhhh, a girl’s gotta dream.
We’ve posted details on several of the main characters at greater length previously, so I won’t rehash that here. Aside from our passionate young hero, Park Dal Hyang, the crown prince is protected by the cavalier warrior Heo Seung Po (Yang Dong Gun as Musketeer #2) and Ahn Min Seo, the flower boy warrior who “makes the hearts of women tremble” (Jung Hae In as Musketeer #3). Kim Sung Min will dispense with the comedic cad roles which he usually does so well in order to play Yong Gol Dae, a hot-tempered Qing general who will also act as negotiator with Joseon. (Hmm, sounds like a strange combination – something tells me negotiations would go downhill fast with a hot-tempered general as diplomat.) The remaining supporting cast includes Kim Myung Soo as King Injo, Park Young Gyu as Kim Ja Jeom, Lee Kyun as Pansoi (Dal Hyang’s noisy servant) and Jeon No Min as a teacher/source of support to Dal Hyang and his fellow bodyguards. (From Newsen)
- The Korean remake of Nodame Cantabile has yet to cast its heroine after Shim Eun Kyung turned down the offer, but they have apparently casted popular rising star Do Hee of Tiny-G (Answer Me 1994) as Saku Sakura, the diminutive contrabassist of the S-Orchestra (the confirmation status varies depending on news source). Baek Yoon Shik was earlier cast as the eccentric conductor Stresemann. (From Joy News)
- Im Si Wan and Kang So Ra are still currently starring in Triangle and Dr. Stranger respectively, but they’ve already been offered leading roles in upcoming tvN manhwa-to-drama adaptation Misaeng, a coming-of-age story about a young baduk player. Kang Ha Neul and Lee Sung Min have also received offers and all are “favorably considering.” (From Joy News)
- FT Island’s Lee Hong Ki (Bride of the Century) and Park Min Woo (Flower Grandpa Investigation Team) are currently in discussion to star in upcoming SBS weekend drama Modern Farmer, described as a comedy about a rock band that returns to farming. Heh. (From TV Report, Star News)
- First stills have been released for upcoming supernatural fantasy sageuk The Records of a Night Watchman (Or The Night Watchman’s Journal), featuring Jung Il Woo as the bad boy illegitimate heir to the throne who has inherited his father’s ability to see ghosts and becomes a night watchman who catches them, Kim Sung Oh as the villain, a psychic who worships the mythological imugi, a serpent monster residing in the heart of Mount Baekdu and Choi Won Young as the king, father to our conflicted young hero and former night watchman. (From TV Daily, Gukje News (1), (2), (3))