The 2016 30th Golden Disk Awards have come to a close after two days with the biggest winner of the night being EXO whom took home the all important “Album of the Year” award for their album EXODUS, like their win at the Seoul Music Awards, EXO are now the first group to take home the Album of the Year award for three consecutive years. The boys also won a Bonsang and Most Popular Global Artist however all these wins does not erase the fact that they turned up to the red carpet in possibly their worst outfits since their debut (which you can see below). Tonight the event was MC’d by Jun Hyun Moo, Super Juniors Leeteuk and F(x)’s Krystal whom replaced leader Victoria who couldn’t make the awards. SM took home the most awards for the night with four of their six active groups all taking home a Bonsang (although Red Velvet and SNSD received Bonsang’s from Day 1) so technically all of SM’s active groups won a Bonsang at this years Golden Disk Awards.
It’s that time of year again, say it with me everyone…awards season!! The nominees for the upcoming Mnet Asian Music Awards aka the MAMA’s have finally been announced and there’s some fierce competition this year (although I do question the inclusion of the rookie groups that have debuted for less than six months in the ‘Artist of the Year’ category). The Big Bang guys lead the pack this year with five nominations which consists of ‘Best Male Group‘, ‘Best Music Video‘ for their song “Bae Bae” off their M mini album, ‘Best Dance Performance‘ for “Bang Bang Bang” which is off their A mini album the song is also up for ‘Song of the Year‘ and they’re also up for ‘Artist of the Year‘ as well. SM Entertainment super group EXO are nominated for four awards this year including ‘Best Male Group‘, ‘Best Dance Performance‘ for their song “Call Me Baby“, which is also nominated for ‘Song of the Year‘ and the boys are also nominated for ‘Artist of the Year‘. Currently only CNBLUE, BTS, GOT7 and Zion.T are confirmed to perform at the awards which will take place on the 2nd of December in Hong Kong. Continue reading
Kpop group VIXX who are known for their different and diverse concepts and choreography have introduced their first subunit consisting of lead vocalist Leo and lead rapper Ravi. The duo titled “LR” released their debut MV titled “Beautiful Liar” earlier today after conducting a live Starcast on new Naver app “V” that was MC’d by the four other members of VIXX (Hongbin, N, Hyuk and Ken). Continue reading
On Tuesday the 7th of July, Twitter Korea revealed their Top 10 Most Searched Keywords for the first half of 2015. The top ranking searches were divided by categories such as “Society“, “Music” and “TV/Film” with Twitter Korea listing the Top 10 for each category. Continue reading
*Authors Note – For those of you looking for the recent Seoul Music Awards post which were held on the 14th of January 2015, you can find that here
The 24th Sports Seoul “Seoul Music Awards” was held at the Seoul Olympic Gymnastics Arena on the 22nd of January and was hosted by Jun Hyun Moon, SISTAR’s Soyou and Super Junior’s Leeteuk. Winners are chosen based on mobile votes (20%), Sports Seoul’s popularity poll (10%), digital downloads and album sales (40%) and judges scores (30%) meaning that even if an artist is leading the mobile vote and popularity poll another artist might be able to win based on the remaining undisclosed 70%. GOT7 won “Best New Artist” adding to their growing list of awards (they also won the same award for last week’s Golden Disk Awards and Youku Night Awards), in a surprising twist Soyou x Junggigo’s “Some” won “Record of the Year” instead of Taeyang’s “Eyes, Nose, Lips” and B2ST took home “Album of the Year” with their album “Time” instead of EXO for their third mini album “Overdose” (Taeyang and EXO have won the award in those categories for both the MAMA’s and Golden Disk which are significantly larger than the Seoul Music Awards), despite not winning “Album of the Year” EXO ended up getting the biggest award of the night which is the “Daesang” award. Continue reading
Hosted by Jun Hyun Moon, SISTAR’s Soyou and Super Junior’s Leeteuk the 24th Sports Seoul “Seoul Music Awards” was held at the Seoul Olympic Gymnastics Arena on the 22nd of January. To be eligible to be in the running for an award the artist must have released an album in the past year, winners are then chosen based on mobile votes (20%), Sports Seoul’s popularity poll (10%), digital downloads and album sales (40%) and judges scores (30%) (so even if an artist appears to be leading the poll based on fan votes, this does not necessarily mean that they will win if they have low sales/downloads or do not get a high judging score). Continue reading